Twelve Tips to Improve Your Internet Search Results
Michelle Stockman works with Little Rock-based Arkansas Capital Corp.
To help small business owners create effective websites capable of competing for an online audience, there are 12 Web site tactics to keep in mind for the business site. These tactics include the following:
- Use headlines as this is the number one item that draws attention to your site. Also, do not include your headlines into graphics on the page as the web crawlers will not be able to read the text.
- Viewers only scan the first few words in the Headline, so get to the point quickly.
- People scan the left side of the site first (just like reading a book), so keep your headlines on the left.
- You have less than one second to grab the viewer’s attention.
- Under the headline, use smaller type as this will now engage the viewer into your content.
- Keep your site navigation at the top of the page.
- Use short paragraphs to encourage reading, long texts will disengage the viewer.
- Know that the first paragraph on any page will be read the most, so make sure you use your key words and information in the first paragraph.
- Ad placements on your Web site (whether internal or external ads to your business) are best at the top and left side of your page.
- People pay the most attention to ads placed next to popular content on the site.
- People read text ads more than graphic ads, except for when the ad is promoting something that is unfamiliar to the reader.
- Key words and their placement on the Web site, in the site code and within any blog, Tweet or facebook effort you engage in is critical. The better the use of key words, the more likely your site will show up in good rankings on the search engines.